Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Custom Shower

Last Friday Lance and I decided to do tile instead of a custom concrete floor and shower. I found 18x18 Travertine on clearance at Home Depot for a screamin' deal so we decided that is what we would use. The only catch being that the Home Depot here in the valley did not have enough to complete our bathroom floor, shower and jacuzzi tub surround. In true Lance and Amber style we ended up driving to Corvallis to get what we needed. We left at about 5pm, arrived in Corvallis around 8:30 and arrived home about 1:30am. Did I mention we took my beamer and the total weight of the tile we needed was about 600 pounds?!
Ya well, it was worth it!
That was Saturday, Sunday we were pooped so luckily my dad came over to help Lance and my mom came over to help me run errands and stay sane! I was, well let's just say in a "mood"... nothing was going my way and did I mention I was REALLY TIRED LOL!!!
Here's my dad helping Lance with the first layer.
So custom size and layout for a shower = you "get to" pour your own basin and make sure it has the right layers and pitch so the water goes down the drain and doesn't puddle. Below is the first layer of mortar. Below that is metal lath and tar paper as a barrier and of course the wood base board.
Next layer is a rubber membrane. Once I found someone to help me find it at Lowes, the rest of this layer wasn't so hard. Lance did this tonight, it's Wednesday.
Here's Lance making sure the pitch is correct on our final layer which is also mortar.
We even got some of the backer board hung and hope to get to tile this weekend!
That's all for tonight, hopefully we'll make good progress this weekend and get a normal amount of sleep!


2 comments:

The Clarks said...

How exciting ~ you are so close to finally getting your awesome bathroom! You guys seem to know all the tricks . . . I am sure if we were doing it water would puddle everywhere and leak into our bedroom :)

Brooke - in Oregon said...

Hey I know that cute guy!! lol

A 'Mood' nah just really tired.

Looks great though :)